Thursday, June 3, 2010

From Daniel MacAdam

I just stumbled across this blog.
I was a childhood friend of Eric's. Seeing others share their memories of Eric brings back many happy memories from my youth, even as it recalls to the present my sorrow at his passing.
Eric and I met attending the same pre-K daycare in Lexington, so I guess we were...5? My family had just moved to town. Eric & I hit it off and our families became friendly. Joy & Dan were wonderfully generous and went far out of their way to help my folks feel welcome in our new home. My mom was smitten by Eric from the first moment. He was stunningly polite. I don't think mom had ever been called "ma'am" before, by one of her son's friends! When Joy came to pick him up, he asked mom if he could have a hug, "because I don't have a mommy, and I'd really like a hug." It completely melted her heart.
We did the things that kids do; imaginative play, Construction projects with Legos, building forts out of couch cushions & blankets, etc. I had my first sleepover at his house, on the bunkbeds. I remember the chiming of the big grandfather clock in the hallway, as I drifted off to sleep.
But I remember most clearly, a day when Eric was over at my house... we were probably 7 at this point. I had the bright idea, "let's play Army!"
Eric said, with conviction, "no, we're playing Marines!"
Greetings to Joy & Dan! It's been a while. I'm so fortunate to have known Eric. I will always treasure my fond memories of the good times we shared.

With Love and Best Wishes,
Daniel MacAdam, Chicago

No comments: