Wednesday, July 16, 2008

In Honor of My Fallen Friend

Friends,

The Terhunes have graciously allowed me to be a writer on this blog and I count it a very high honor and privilege. Summer posted an email that I had sent the family containing pictures taken at the Kentucky State Capitol of the flags flown there on the day of his funeral. Before that day I had guest posted on my wife's blog a tribute of my own to honor Eric. I have decided to let that be my first official post here. It is as follows and was written on June 20 originally (the font changes some times which I'm not sure why):


Eric Daniel Terhune was born September 13, 1973. I was born 4 days earlier. Our friendship began in childhood. His grandparents had adopted and raised him as their son. He called them mom and dad. I was about 10 or 11 years old when we moved to the house across the street from the Terhunes. He had an amazing treehouse in his back yard in the largest tree that we used to play in. Ironically, we spent a lot of time pretending to be "soldiers." Even at that young age Eric had an almost encyclopedic knowledge of things military. His grandfather, father, and uncle had all served in the armed forces.

I look back on those days fondly and would gladly repeat them again given the chance. Some of my best childhood memories were spent with Eric and his family; whether a fishing trip to a remote part of Canada or going to summer camp at Honey Rock, Wisconsin, or more local excursions we used to go on. The Terhunes were instrumental in getting me to go on a short term mission trip to Ecuador in high school. Eric and I both went and that trip was the means God used to change my life forever and call me to serve and follow Him. Eric stood with me as one of my groomsmen the day Beth and I were wed.

Eric enlisted in the marine corps out of high school serving several years as an enlisted soldier prior to going to college at Morehead State University. After getting his degree he went through officer training and qualified for assignment to the flight pipeline, a life long dream for him. He ended up flying helicopters as an officer in the marines. While in Iraq, about 2 years ago now, he had a non combat accident that left him unable to fly temporarily, so he had chosen to use his skills from his enlisted days to serve on the ground until he could be re-instated to flying.

I was driving on the interstate from Lexington to Louisville yesterday evening when my dad called with the news of Eric's death. I knew instantly from his voice that something was wrong. He'd been killed by a sniper. A few minutes later I was off the phone reflecting over the many years and times that I have spent with my friend Eric, with tears in my eyes. I turned inwardly to my God at that time. I knew as hard as this was, loving and missing my friend, that this was as God had planned for his life and I have a peace about his going that passes understanding.

I expect in the next few days or weeks to be with his family and to reflect on his life with them. Sharing old memories, laughs, and tears. Eric spoke of the possibility of being killed. It was his hope that if the Lord chose to take him it would be so that someone else who needed to know Jesus could be spared instead.

The majority of the pictures I have of Eric pre-date digital photography, but we have some from a visit 3-4 years ago when Emmy and Lily are much younger. I cherish these photos. They show my friend as he truly was - a lover of life. Though he was capable of being quite ferocious on the battle field or in contests of skill or strength, these pictures show his gentle side, his fatherly qualities.

Eric Daniel Terhune, I love you and miss you. Thank you for your service to our country, for paying the ultimate price with your life. Thank you for the many wonderful memories and for a friendship that will last through all eternity because it is grounded on a faith in Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

SherriMartin said...

Dustin,
Tender tributes are like a healing balm to the family. Thank you for sharing your heart with such love. You have lost a precious friend. No doubt you meant the world to each other.

Sherri Martin